It is 2017 already and at the start of any new year, we are all of a sudden aware of our health choices and the time we spend in our day. For some, that means changing eating habits and exercising. That’s why I came up with this easy, healthy and fast dish, Healthy Tex-Mex Chicken and Veggies dish that is delectably good.
I have definitely become aware of my weight gain and the unhealthy food choices that I have made throughout the year. I need to make a change just like the next person. Therefore, I want to strive to get healthier this year and lose some weight. I am getting married in March and I want to shape up for the wedding and my wedding dress. This healthy dish falls in line with what I am trying to accomplish.
What makes this dish healthy is healthy ingredients that have little fat but a good amount of protein. It incorporates a variety of vegetables and low-calorie flavor. The bonus is that you cook in one pan which makes the clean up easy and fast. I am known for making a mess in the kitchen but to me, that is just the sign of a good cook!
The other bonus is that it comes together quickly for those that have to cook for a family after work! It’s hard when you work all day and have to fix dinner right when you come home. Sometime soon I will do a post about how I organize dinners for the week. You might find it helpful!
I truly hope that you enjoy this delectably good and healthy dish!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled, diced in small chunks
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1 lb boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon cumin, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup corn, frozen or fresh
- 14 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 12 oz can Rotel Original
- ½ cup Salsa Verde, (I use Trader Joes brand)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (use less if you don't want it overly spicy)
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, grated
- ¼ cup cilantro (optional)
- Sour cream and avocado, (Optional)
- Cut up the meat and vegetables first so that you can quickly add them to the pan.
- Preheat a large deep skillet over low-medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic and sweet potato, saute for about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and sprinkle with ½ tablespoon of cumin, the salt, and black pepper. Saute until a bit golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add corn, beans, Rotel, salsa verde, cayenne pepper and remaining cumin. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini and stir. Sprinkle with cheese, cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with sour cream, diced avocado or tortilla chips.
Adapted from I Food Real blog.