This Rainbow Veggie Zoodle Pad Thai with a Peanut Sauce will keep you home instead of the Thai restaurant. It is relatively healthy and there are so many varieties that you could create with this. I like to add a marinated tofu to this dish which I will share later.
I am sure that most of you know what zoodles are by this point but in case you don’t zoodles are noodles made out of fresh Zucchini. There are different kitchen tools that you can use to create the zoodle from the zucchini but I have a Paderno Spiral Vegetable Slicer and I LOVE IT! You don’t have to peel it and you cut the ends off and attach it to this spiked circle that you crank against a blade that creates noodles. I have made noodles from sweet potatoes, red peppers and zucchini. They are a great alternative to regular pasta!
Look at that delicious peanut sauce being poured over those vegetables and tofu. I mean let’s be honest, one of the best sauces in Thai food is peanut sauce!
- Pad Thai
- 2 zucchini, spiralized
- 3 ounce whole wheat spaghetti (optional)
- 1 red pepper, diced
- ½ of an onion, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced into matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 egg beaten
- ¼ cup chopped pistachios or cashews
- Peanut Sauce:
- One 13.5 ounce can of coconut milk
- 2 ounces of Thai red curry paste
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- Prepare the peanut sauce first. Combine all of the ingredients from the peanut sauce list in a medium pot and gently bring it to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to low and let the mixture simmer for 3-5 minutes, again whisking constantly so it won't burn. Remove from the heat and allow it to cool while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Cook the pasta according to the boxes directions then drain and set it aside in a large bowl. While the pasta is cooking, spiralize the zucchini into noodle-like shapes. Slice up the red pepper, onion and carrots. Add a tablespoon of oil over medium high heat. Adding the red pepper, onion and carrots, cooking 2-3 minutes or until tender crisp. Add them to the bowl of pasta.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil the pain, pour the beaten egg and cook for a 1 minute then adding the spiralized zucchini and cook another 2 minutes being careful not to overcook as the zucchini will get soggy. Pour the pasta and zucchini into a large bowl. Pour ¾ - 1 cup of the peanut sauce over the mixture and toss until combined. Top with the chopped nuts.
Pad Thai Recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum
Peanut Sauce Recipe adapted from The Sisters Cafe